CHICKEN SOUVLAKI PITA WITH TZATZIKI

Posted by PicasaWhen I decided to title my blog "Cooking . . . It's a Family Thing," it was right on. In my household anyway! This is my daughter, Lindsey's, recipe. The pita pockets are also homemade, by her and I prepared the homemade baked fries! I'm so glad all of my offspring love to cook. If my son, Matthew, had been there he would have contributed something to the meal as well. Katie, my youngest, as I've said before is my baker! She made Yogurt Lemon Cake for our dessert. This is such a good, light meal, especially for the summer. Even if you don't make your own pitas, you should try this!
INGREDIENTS
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
4 t Greek Seasoning (we found this at Fresh Market. It's in a packet like Italian Dressing mix)
4 T Olive Oil
12, ounces, weight drained, Non-fat Plain Yogurt
1 whole Cucumber, chopped
1/2 whole Yellow Onion, chopped
2 t Lemon juice
Salt & Pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Most of this recipe is in the prep. You marinate the chicken for several hours before you grill. I did mine the night before.
Pound out the chicken breasts until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Rub down with olive oil then season both sides generously with the Greek seasoning. Wrap the chicken in cling wrap and refrigerate for several hours. Grill for about 3 minutes on each side (or until done). Let sit for a minute or two and then slice into strips.
The night before you plan to serve this dish, place 12 oz of plain yogurt in a coffee filter then set in a mesh colander set over a bowl and drain in the fridge overnight. This just makes the sauce thicker. You could forego this step by using Greek Yogurt.
Chop up the cucumber and onion and mix with the drained yogurt, add the lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. This is the Tzatziki!
Place grilled chicken strips and tzatziki into warmed pitas. We also added chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce to ours!
This recipe serves six. If you do all the prep work the night before, cook time is about 15 min total.
For the oven baked french fries, just wash, dry and slice your potatoes. Toss with olive oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinke with sea salt or seasoning salt and bake in a 450 oven till they are a nice golden brown and fork tender.

0 comments: