BLACK BEAN SOUP & SPINACH SALAD

I know I haven't posted a new recipe in a while and I'm sorry! My grand kids were here last week and, well, they are top priority when they are here! My dinner tonight was delicious! I hope you will give it a try.

PANERA BREAD BLACK BEAN SOUP
25 Min/5 Min Prep

INGREDIENTS:
1 Onion
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Celery Ribs, finely chopped
1/4 large Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
2 small Chicken Bouillon Cubes
2 1/2 cups Boiling Water
(I just used 2 1/2 cups chicken stock that I had in my freezer)
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cumin
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 T cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a pot, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes
  2. Add half a can of beans, salt and cumin; cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Puree soup (I used an immersion blender which makes it easy to do right in the pot).
  4. Add the rest of the beans to the soup.
  5. Combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 T of water.
  6. Add the lemon juice and cornstarch to the soup; cook until thickened.
I served this with a dollop of sour cream and a little cilantro I got from my garden. I also had a loaf of Rosemary Bread I bought from Harris Teeter. It was so good!

SPINACH SALAD WITH WARM BACON DRESSING
Prep Time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
3 Whole Eggs
7 Slices Thick Cut Bacon
1/2 Red Onion
1 Pkg. White Button Mushrooms
8 Ounces Baby Spinach, washed, dried and stems removed (I just used some from my garden)
3 T Red Wine Vinegar (any vinegar will do except Balsamic)
2 t Sugar
1/2 t Dijon Mustard
1 dash Salt

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cooks eggs; cover with water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat and allow to sit in water for 20 minutes. Drain off water and add ice on top of eggs.
  2. Fry bacon until crispy/chewy. Remove to a paper towel.
  3. Remove 3 T bacon grease and set aside.
  4. Add 2 add'l T of bacon grease to a separate skillet over medium heat.
  5. Slice red onion very thinly, then add to skillet. Cook slowly until caramelized and brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
  6. Chop bacon
  7. Peel and slice eggs (I used my Pampered Chef egg slicer; it worked great)
  8. Make hot bacon dressing; Add 3T reserved bacon grease, vinegar, sugar and Dijon to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk mixture together and heat thoroughly.
  9. Add spinach to a large bowl. Arrange onions, mushrooms and bacon on top. Pour hot dressing over the top; toss to combine.
  10. Arrange eggs over the top and serve.
Katie & I ate before Richard. I guarantee there will be no leftovers for me to take to lunch tomorrow once he eats! I hope you will make this soon. It is so, so good.



0 comments: