QUICK SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN

This was a quick & delicious dinner for a Wednesday church night! I got off work at 3pm, went to Harris Teeter for "triple coupons", came home and had this ready to eat before 5pm! By the way, how early do you have to get to HT to take advantage of the triple coupons you have that allow you to get some items for free. Just about every time I have some needed items that would be "free" they are all gone! Next time I'm gonna be there at 7am and see what happens! Sorry, just had to vent a little! OK back to dinner. The recipe calls for 1 - 15 1/4 oz can of pineapple chunks in juice. Well I had some fresh pineapple that I used which meant I had no pineapple juice. I just substituted apple juice in place of the pineapple juice and it worked just fine. This was so easy and so good. I hope you'll try it!

QUICK SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 T veg. oil
1 medium green and/or red pepper, cut into 1" pieces (I used some of both)
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
1 - 15 1/4 oz can pineapple chunks in it's own juice (or you can do what I did)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar or regular vinegar which is what I used
2 T corn starch
2 T soy sauce (I used reduced sodium)
Hot cooked rice

Directions:
Preheat a wok or large skillet over high heat; add oil. Stir-fry pepper & onion in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan. Add more oil if needed and then add chicken strips; stir-fry until done & browned. Keep warm.

Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a small saucepan combine the juice, brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch and soy sauce. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.

Return peppers and onion to skillet, stir in pineapple and thickened pineapple juice mixture (if this is too thick just add a little water) and cook until heated through. Serve with rice.

0 comments: