RED BEANS & RICE


RED BEANS & RICE

This is what we had for lunch today. I am not going to post the recipe because it's too long. If you want to make this just let me know, send me your email and I'll copy and paste into a document and send to you. I actually started on this Saturday. I soaked the red kidney beans, cut all the veggies and cooked all this in a dutch oven with the ham hocks. This morning before church I added the smoked sausage and prepared the rice.The rice is actually cooked in a loaf pan in the oven and calls for stock, chopped onion, celery, green peppers, melted butter, salt, garlic powder and a pinch of cayenne. You just mix it all together, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees about an hour.

So if you get a taste for "Red Beans & Rice" let me know. Thanks so much to my good friend and fellow "cook" Phil M. for lending me his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

mouth is now watering. will you make this again soon??

Unknown said...

Next, try the Cajun meatloaf and dirty rice - both are require a lot of preparation. You can't stop eating the dirty rice..just can't! Footnote to Red Beans and Rice - this dish was traditionally prepared on Mondays - "washday". The women could put this on and let it cook all day while they were doing the wash.